Thursday, April 17, 2008

What Am I Going To Do???

So, with the new baby on the way I will have three kids that will be in carseats, and people have been approaching me with the inevitable question, "so, are you guys going to get a minivan?" Aaaaggggghhhhh!! (Did I spell that outburst correctly?) Anyway, I'm not sure what my deal is, but I have always, always sworn that I would not be a mom with a minivan. So, you say, "Just get a big SUV." I would personally much prefer this idea, but the cost difference between a big gas-guzzling SUV and a more efficient minivan is pretty significant on our very modest budget, not to mention the actual cost of the car itself.

So, something is going to have to give. Unfortunately, I think the thing that will have to change is my pride. Pride in what? I don't really even know. There is just something about a minivan that says, "Blah. I'm a stay at home mom. Blah, Blah. I'm just like the rest of the pack of moms that drive around town with our kids running errands in our minivans. Blah Blah Blah." But this is not at all how I feel about my life. I love my life with my kids and my husband. But for some reason, a minivan says the opposite in my mind.

I know I sound totally crazy, so forgive me. Isn't it true that our cars say something about us? We may not like it, but it's true. We buy cars for certain reasons, one of which is that we like the way they look and what that says about us, whether we realize it or not. I'm starting to get too analytical for this blog, but I do believe this psychology is true most of the time, and I don't like what minivans say to me!

Please forgive me if you own a minivan and you like it. Go for it! I just don't want to. And I'm really not a car snob. Drive your van with pride! Just don't slide open that double-sided door and make me go with you!

I guess I've got a few months to figure something out - maybe through therapy.

In honor of this post, here is a picture of the van I grew up riding in. I realize minivans have come a long way since the 80's, so don't try to convince me that they are cool now. Gavin and my mom are already covering this area just fine.

Happy Driving!

12 comments:

Tiffany said...

oh how I remember your blue van! Riding in it all the way to Colorado! I have sworn never to get a minivan, resist as long as you can! but I will ride in it with you if you have to get one, I won't be embarrassed to be seen with you! Congrats on the baby by the way!!!!

Unknown said...

I felt the EXACT same way when our third was on the way and I knew the minivan was just about inevitable. Oh how I resisted. Then we bought one. And I LOVED it. Seriously. I went from hating the idea to thinking a van is the most comfortable wonderful best thing ever. Your feeling might change if you test drive one and see how easy it is for all your kids to pile in and how comfortable everyone is. Who knows.

Stacia said...

Oh Elizabeth!

I am VERY passionate about this subject especially coming from a mommy with 3 kids. Driving the mini van is absolutely a pride thing. I didn't even grow up with mini vans. I grew up in suburbans and swore we would never have one but can I say that mini vans were MADE for moms with kids. Once I got over the ughhh, I'm driving a mini van, I love it. The sliding doors that open with a push of a button, the fact my kids can climb in by themselves. Did you know that I don't have to have a seperate mirror to watch the kids because it's built into my van. Plus, they are way more affordable....

Okay, this is a lame first time to comment and I really need to tell you how excited I am that you guys are about to have baby 4. Good luck with the E names. I struggled enough finding a name for Channing and we had the whole alphabet to choose from. :)

Amy said...

I'm there with ya! I've always been anti-minivan. I still am, but then again, I only have one kid. I've learned to never say never, being that Charlie loves french fries and I definitely said never to that one! What about a mid-size SUV with a third row? Elijah's big enough to climb in the back seat. Just a thought. I've seen several families adopt that arrangement. The Honda Pilot, Envoy, Trailblazer, Ascender (and many more) are all midsize with the optional third row and get great safety ratings. There are also several hybrids out there now that could help with the gas issue.

Jennifer K said...

Congrats on E4!! That is so exciting! Keep us posted on the minivan issue. We are having the same struggle! I am still driving a large SUV, but gas prices kill me! So I don't thing we are too far off from the MV. You will make it cool. :) Good Luck on the E names!

Anonymous said...

Our van was cooler than that!!

Mom

Nicole said...

First time commenting, yes I am lame. Had to on this one. Your post sounds exactly like the conversation I had with Alex just a couple months ago.I feel your pain. I said I would take one for the team if I needed to and not be prideful (I also grew up in one). Then Alex suggested the newer crossover. Basically a minivan with no sliding doors. We ended up with a Saturn Outlook. We even got captains chairs in the second row so getting in the 3rd row is easier. Good luck, and either way you'll be driving your adorable kids around, that will make you look cute no matter what you drive. :)

lizzie said...

So many good times in the Safari! Just think of all the stories your kids will have of being hauled around in their mom's mini van just like their mom was in Nana's. It would be a special bond you could all share. It builds character. Just kidding. Really, minivans aren't that bad and you'll still be cool in whatever you roll in.

The Speck family said...

Congrats on the wonderful E4 news, Elizabeth! I hear you on the MV- funny enough, Trav loves them due to their economic plus' and looks forward to the day when we need one.....thank you SO MUCH for all your prayers and encouragement along Bennett's journey- we appreciate your support immensely.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I won't try to convince you either way...but just think of all the fun things a minivan can hold after a day at Canton. :)

By the way...you had a pretty rad set of wheels growing up.

Ashley said...

Congratulations on number 4! WOW! You are a super mom.

I go back and forth on the minivan thing too. With gas so high it is hard not to think about getting a car with better milage, it is just hard to feel cool in a minivan