Saturday, March 03, 2007

What's Up With Crazy Parents?!?

I recently had the privilage of going with Elijah and my mom to his first concert - Elmo Makes Music. As far as kid things go, this was actually somewhat entertaining and realistically short. Basically, I didn't feel like I was being tortured for three hours.
The only thing that was a real beating to me was watching and listening to the other parents and grandparents that were there with their kids. I think I witnessed for the first time, on a mass scale, how uninterested, impatient, annoyed, and mean adults can act toward children. It really was overwhelming to me, and sad. Why do any of them choose to take their kid to something like this if they're just going to be overwhelmed and ticked off the whole time and take it out on their kid? It just made me want to host a parenting class during the intermission and tell these parents that it doesn't have to be that way. This isn't to say that I think I'm the best parent in the world - I know plenty of places that I can make improvements, and no one will ever make all the right decisions with their children. But it made me realize that I think Gavin and I do a pretty good job and we've got a great kid. And it makes me thankful for all of the training that I have had and the complete dedication that Gavin has to being the best parent that he can be.
So, in the future I really look forward to taking our kids to various concerts and performances like this one, and maybe hand out pamphlets on ten ways to not be such a beating to your kids.

2 comments:

Amy said...

AMEN! I feel the same way every time I have to make a trip to Wal-Mart. I feel this should be your pamphlet distribution headquarters.

David Scott said...

Liz!!!! I'm so glad I found your new site. As I wrote Lizzie, there's so much for us to catch up on.

We just had a boy nearly 2 weeks ago. I have a few pics posted on my site.

I pray all is going well with you and the family.

David