Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A First


Okay - this is a picture of the fire truck leaving our house this morning. I had to take a picture to commemorate our first call to 911 for Elijah. Before anyone gets concerned - he's fine.
But, he did lock himself in the house today as I was unloading groceries from the car. Normally, I leave my keys in my pocket "just in case," but today I didn't. They were inside along with my cell phone. Thankfully, my good friend Lizzie was only about 20 minutes from the house anyway, so I just waited for her to get there to use her phone. While I waited I tried to talk Elijah through instructions to unlock the door, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't even now how he locked it in the first place, so my instructions were not helpful. But it was getting a little comical listening to him yell at me through the door as if I was the one that locked him in.
Finally Lizzie arrived and I first attempted to call Gavin at work for him to come home and unlock the door. After about 4 tries, I gave up and called my mom. She wasn't at home and was not able to come help me either. So, she told me to just call 911. So, I decided that was my best option since I didn't know how promptly a locksmith would get there.
When I called 911 the dispatcher told me that the firemen could take care of it, but they would have to use forced entry, which means I would then be paying for a busted door or window. At that information, my first thought was, "Gavin's going to kill me." So, as I hear the sirens start up (the fire station is only a couple of miles from the house) I made a last ditch effort to get into the house. Amazingly, I found our bedroom window unlocked. So, in my excitement I hurridly threw the screen off, pushed open the window, and pushed away the oversized chair that was sitting in front of the window as if it weighed no more than a throw pillow. I wasn't expecting to see Elijah standing in my dark room watching me and he wasn't expecting to see his mom crawling through the window, so we scared each other to death. We looked at each other with the same surprised expression while he said, "mommy?" and I said, "Elijah!" I still don't know if he was more relieved to see me or just confused as to why I locked him inside only to come get him 30 minutes later through my bedroom window.
So, no broken doors or windows, and better yet, no injured toddlers!
And, the very friendly firemen came out anyway just to double check and make sure we were all okay.
Hey, at least he was locked inside his own nice, cool house and not the car! See Gavin, it could always be worse!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man! That is a crazy story. I locked Ava and Nate inside a few months ago when I walked out our french doors and realized after they clicked shut that the bottom knob was locked. The good news for me though, was that all I had to talk Ava into doing was just turning the knob and pulling since it was not locked from the inside, only the outside. She managed to do that and saved us from the adventure you and Elijah had!

Anonymous said...

what a great story. I was laughing out loud while I read it. Would have loved to see the look on Elijah's face as you came through the window. What did the firemen say?

Anonymous said...

I am glad that everyone is ok, but I think that is the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

Anonymous said...

anonymous is me....Crystal.
I am not good at this blog stuff.

Anonymous said...

What a funny story. I know it is not funny while it is happening. I will never forget on a blizzard day with snow so high we could hardly open the door. The police drove up to my house banging on the door with big flashlights saying that someone had called 911 from our house. I said that no one had but they wanted to search the house. Well later I finally got it out of Jessica who was in 3rd grade that she was trying to call her friend in Japan. You never know.
Love, Isabele