Sunday, April 26, 2009

So, here I am. Still alive, just very busy and with a major writing block. I'm not sure why I feel I have little to write about with all of the material that I get from the kids each day, but somehow I have let 5 months pass since my last post. And even that wasn't a real post - just pictures. So, I know all five of you who actually read this are super excited to be reading about my life again (blogs are so self-righteous aren't they?!), but beware of the following content. If you don't have a dark or inappropriate sense of humor at times, you may be offended by parts of the story below. Just fyi...

Today we decided to celebrate Eveyn's birthday a day early. She would be 3 years old tomorrow. However, tomorrow is Monday and I wanted to be able to go out to the cemetery with all of us together and knew that would be much easier on the weekend rather than during the week. So, after church we grabbed a quick lunch at Jack in the Box and then headed out to the cemetery where Eveyn is buried. Well, it was supposed to be a quick lunch, but since Elijah has to either tell a story or demonstrate something after every few bites, it was not as quick as I had hoped. But that's beside the point.

Ella of course had no idea what we were going to do, but Elijah did and he was excited about it. He talks about Eveyn all the time and tells me how much he misses her and wishes she was still here with us. I have written about this before, but I just love the things he says about her and the way he sincerely misses having his other sister with him. Now, he hasn't been out to the cemetery in a very long time, so like I said he was pretty excited. On the way there he started talking to Emerson and telling her what we were going to do (Ella was asleep at this point). He told Emerson in his happy little sing-song Elijah voice/baby talk voice, "we're going to visit Eveyn's graveyard! That's your sister, but you can't see her because she died! But we're going to her graveyard! Isn't that fun?!"

Once we arrived at the cemetery and before we got out of the car, I told Elijah that he couldn't run around and act crazy because he needed to be respectful of other people that were visiting people they loved also. He did well with this most of the time, but he was pretty happy since we were having cupcakes. As I was trying to secure a wreath that I had bought, Elijah took a break from asking when we were going to eat the cupcakes to ask a more important question. "When are we going to dig up Eveyn?" I'll just write out the rest of the conversation:

Me: "Dude, we aren't going to dig up Eveyn."
Eli: "Why not?"
Me: "Well, remember how we've talked about what happens to our bodies once we die?"
Eli: "Yeah, they decave."
Me: "Right, they decay. And Eveyn's spirit, her true self, is with Jesus in heaven. Eveyn's body is not alive anymore, so you wouldn't want it here with us now."
Eli: "Yeah, I know that mom. But we could dig up all her bones."
Me: "Why would you want to do that?"
Eli: "Well, I could give them to my dog someday."

And at this point, you just can't help but laugh. A lot. And Elijah doesn't get the joke, but he really likes that he has somehow said something funny. And sorry Pop, but he went on to tell the same "joke" about feeding Pop's bones to his dog someday too.
Once the totally inappropriate joking was over, we sat on the grass, enjoyed cupcakes together and talked about what we thought Eveyn would be like if she was still with us. Elijah became more serious and real quietly said, "yeah, I think she'd be pretty cute right now." It's hard to imagine what she would be like as a three year old, but I agree with Elijah that she'd be pretty cute.
Happy Birthday Eveyn

11 comments:

Its Just Water said...

I came across you post by accident but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I too have a house full of Pates and I thought it was very interesting that all your children's names begin with the letter "E". I am sure it is just a coincidence but the "E's" are also strong in our clan. My mother in law is an Eleanor, I am Eva and I have two daughters Elizabeth and Erin......

Eva "Kathy" Pate

CD said...

Thank you for sharing this story. I think it was precious and so adorable. He seems like such a sweet hearted little boy....with a cute sense of humor. Yes, I did laugh...a lot.
I think of you, your little girl and family very often. Lots of of love to all of you!

Liz Floyd said...

I absolutely love this; made me laugh & cry. He's wonderful!

Nana

annalee said...

touched by the tender ways your family honors eveyn through everyday. praying for you all today especially. and that elijah makes me smile from ear to ear!

Jennifer K said...

Glad to see a post from you. Thinking about you today. What an amazing family you have!

lizzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lizzie said...

Thanks for sharing this story! It made me laugh. I had fun at lunch with you and Emerson today. Love you!

Shanta said...

Just checking in with the Pates in time to MELT MY HEART. I can't imagine carrying around such a sweet memory like Eveyn. I think it is very cool the way you celebrate her birthday. I'm glad Elijah was so into it. We're thinking of you.

Mary M. said...

Happy birthday Eveyn.

Jenny Rizer said...

Great story about Elijah's comments. Don't you just love the way they try so hard to understand things?? It's awesome that you are using a tough situation to teach your children about living forever with Jesus. Thanks for blogging again...see, more than 5 readers! :)

Linzi said...

What a sweet little man Elijah is.... he must bring a smile to your face often! I am touched by your story!
Linzi (Selke) Adkins
(an old friend of the Pate kids)