Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I Have to Get Back on Track!

Man, I'm not doing so well at keeping up to date on this blog! A lot has been going on, so I'll do my best to do the updates without rambling too much.

In Elijah's world, his main concerns are watching each and every episode of the original Speed Racer cartoons which Gavin has been renting from Netflix, planning his 4th birthday party which he really wants to have at the skating rink, having sword fights with anyone and everyone, being the best super-hero he can be, going commando under his shorts, peeing outside (the other night at some friends' house, I looked out the back window to see Elijah standing in the middle of their yard completely naked while explaining his actions to the other boys), and becoming very open and honest in his curiosity and discussions of the human body.
This last interest has given me a lot of good laughs and some more serious discussions with him. An example of a good laugh: Elijah was shooting a foam dart gun, and ended up shooting Ella right in the front part of her diaper. He laughed and exclaimed, "I shot Ella in her penis!" After telling him that Ella actually didn't have a penis because she's a girl, he laughed again and said, "oh yeah, I forgot. I meant to say that I shot her in her anus!" Nice. I just don't like that word, not that it's a bad word, it just always sounds weird. I guess that's still my 7th grade immaturity in me! But it sounds extra weird coming from my 3 year old! Still funny, though.
We've also had some more serious discussions about pointing out obvious differences in other people. He seems to have an obsession with noticing peoples belly's and using the word fat. He doesn't even mean it in a cruel way, he just uses it in a very matter-of-fact way, just like pointing out someone who's really tall. But, the word fat isn't very well accepted by anyone, so we've had many talks about the right and wrong way to use that word - which is really confusing to him.

On to the world of Ella. She will be 16 months on Aug. 5, and she's getting ever closer to finally walking someday, I think! At least I hope so. Elijah didn't walk until he was 16 months old, so I'm not really concerned. She does signs with us really well, and she's very verbal, but she doesn't have too many discernible words yet. Her doctor said to give her until 18 months to see some improvement, so I'm hoping that will happen as well. But again, Elijah didn't really say much until around 18 months, so it doesn't worry me at this point.
Although she's not actually walking, Ella does have an awesome little knee-walk that she does most of the time now. Just like it sounds - she sits upright and walks on her knees. It's pretty cute, but she also kind of looks disabled, like she's an amputee or the bottom half of her legs just don't work.

And in new baby news, I'll be 21 weeks this week and we just found out on Monday that we are having another girl! Her name is Emerson Rae. The first name is obviously an "E" name that we just thought was unique and pretty, and the middle name is my grandmother's middle name. So, we are mostly excited about this! I only say mostly because Elijah is dealing with a little bit of disappointment about the baby being a girl! When I told him we weren't having a boy, he put his head down and started crying. Poor guy! I really felt bad for him! But I think he's getting over it by now. Another story will be Miss Ella and her reaction to Emerson when she gets here. I think we will have issues in our home!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I LOVE the name! Can I take credit for her first name? It was one of my suggestions! haha!!!

Ashley said...

I love the name Emerson. Hang in there, you busy, sweet momma!

Melody said...

Sweet! I knew it was a girl--your "pregnesia" gave it away!

Love the name! Congrats!

Melody

Jana said...

I love the name Emerson. It is perfect. I can't believe Ella is already 16 months old. Elijah cracks me up. Too cute.

Amy said...

I love the name Emerson! We just met a little girl here named Emerson and I thought it was so cute! The body talks with Elijah are hilarious!! I don't look forward to that. :)

EmmaJ said...

Hey there, Elizabeth!
I just stumbled onto your site accidentally as I was doing a Google image search for a little project I'm working on. Fun! Sounds like the Pate house is a happenin' place! Way to be a smart, understanding mom who delights in the antics of the small folks and doesn't freak out too much. Even at such a young age it seems like you're setting a good precedent/pattern for keeping the lines of communication open in a way that lets Elijah feel comfortable talking to you about anything - it's great that you're establishing that young - seems like a great start for staying on the same team as your kids grow up. Congrats on choosing a name - I like!! :)

Jennifer K said...

How are you?! Love the name Emerson!