Monday, January 15, 2007

Eveyn and Ella

Just writing the title of this post gives me very bitter-sweet feelings. I've never put our two daughters together like that, or really thought of them as sisters together. It's so overwhelming to think of - if we had Eveyn here with us, would we have Ella now? Or is Ella purely the result of us losing Eveyn? Would they have ever been sisters here on this earth in God's plan? It's unbelieveable how many questions go through my mind on a daily basis. I never stop thinking about all of my children and their relationship to one another and to Gavin and me. It's amazing and a wonder to think about.
During this past week, we have gotten down all of Eveyn's things from the attic that she never got to use - bedding, clothes, carseat, toys, etc. We are beginning to prepare now for Ella's arrival in early April. I am now re-washing all of the clothes that were meant for Eveyn, but now her little sister will use. And we are now re-teaching Elijah what it's going to mean to have a little sister in his house.
I thought I would be more sad than I have been as I go through this whole process, but it's more of a feeling of awe and wonder. I can't really describe it very well. But I have realized what a gift Eveyn has been to her sister Ella. She has provided Ella with so many things - beyond the clothes and toys. Because of what we've experienced as a family in the last nine months since losing our daughter and sister, Ella will be so much more enriched by it. As a family, we have experienced so much love, grace and peace from God that we never would have been able to come in contact with on the same level as we have now. I know that we have such an unquenchable appreciation and desire for our relationship with God and the people in our lives that we didn't have before. And now we will be able to share this with Ella. All because of Eveyn and our life experience with her. She is an incredibly special little girl, and I am so thankful to have her influence in our lives.

3 comments:

lizzie said...

You are an amazing mom and I love Eli and Eveyn and Ella Grace and am so thankful for what I've learned from all of them. May God continue to bless you and your family as you prepare for Ella's arrival. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love you!

Anonymous said...

You and Gavin are such beautiful parents and I have learned so much from watching the two of you during this past year. I have so much respect for you both. Elizabeth, what you have written has helped me immensely as I anticipate Ella with such joy, but miss Eveyn still with such grief. I'm inspired by your faith and love you so much. Mama

Anonymous said...

Dear Elizabeth,

I was moved by your eloquent thoughts and feelings about the inter-connected relationships between Ella, Eveyn, Elijah, Gavin, you, family, friends and God. What struck me the most is what you said about how much you have grown and learned because of Eveyn and basically you wound not be in the place you are now – and that you have so much more because of Eveyn. I love you and your family so much.

Love,
Isabele