Saturday, November 12, 2005

First "Real" Halloween



Last year at Halloween Elijah was only 2 months old, so needless to say we didn't do much of anything. I bought him a giraffe costume, he wore it for about 30 minutes at our house and we handed out candy to neighborhood kids.
This year, I was determined to make his own costume, for two reason. One, I wanted it to be cheaper than a store-bought costume. Two, I wanted it to be original. As you can tell from the pictures, he was a skunk. The cost thing didn't work out like I expected. It was a simple costume, but it still turned out to be about twice as much as something bought at a store. But, the idea was that he would have a new black sweat shirt and pants that would last him through the rest of the fall and winter, thus justifying the cost. I was determined to make that stripe stick while still salvaging the sweatshirt, but I was not successful. So, he has a pair of pants to wear throughout the winter, but as far as wearing the hooded jacket, he now has a permanant skunk jacket.
My second reason for wanting to make the costume instead of buying was to be original. That was successful. I never saw one other skunk all night long, and only a couple of people mistakenly thought he was a cat. But those few people also thought he was a girl.
So, Halloween was much more fun this year. We went to the outside festival set up at our church where Elijah played a lot of games that involved throwing balls into buckets, and won a lot of candy for his parents!

3 comments:

Katie said...

What a cute little "stinker!" Seriously, he is darling! Don't you hate how expensive it is to be creative?? I made a palm tree costume this year and I swear I spend $50 on the thing! Insane!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I know I told you this before but the skunk was such a cute idea and I just found out by reading your blog that you made it yourself. Oh do I remember making costumes. They are more fun to make but boy do you run into problems especially when they want to be Duracell Batteries and Wigley Doublemint gum wrappers and basketball backboards.
Love,
Isabele

Anonymous said...

Dear, dear Elizabeth Mai, I have just had the biggest laugh about the skunk jacket. Even if I don't get to see it at Thanksgiving, I look forward to seeing it at Christmas. I am so sorry to miss dinner with all of you, but it seemed prudent to stay home since I'm still recovering from that nasty fall. Much love, Grandma