Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Surprise, Surprise!

Well, as most of you already know, baby number two is on it's way. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle all of this. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and happy about this new addition to our family, but it's literally happening a year and a half earlier than I expected it. I don't know how long it's going to take for it all to sink in, but I'm still in a state of shock. It still doesn't feel real to me.
As I tried to fall asleep last night, all I could do was lay there remembering, minute by minute, the birth of Elijah. I thought your brain let you forget all of that in time to go through it again. That's what I've been told by so many people. It's not that I don't want to do it again, but I really wasn't planning on it this soon. And I remember SO MUCH of those 13 hours last August.
I keep reminding myself that with Elijah I gained almost 60 pounds, he weighed almost 9 1/2 pounds, and he was turned the wrong way and had to be vacuumed out of me. And, I had to be rushed into surgery right after he was born. These are all things that I plan on working very hard at NOT repeating with this baby. I know I can't do much about the baby's weight, but the rest of the stuff I should be able to handle.
I just can't believe my little Eli is barely one year old and I had to pull out the handy pregnancy books last night to start reading them again. I still can't wrap my head around it. It feels like I'm reading the books to get information for a friend who has just found out they are pregnant, instead of for myself.
I mean, I just finished storing away all of Elijah's tiny baby clothes, and I just recently finished space-bagging all of my maternity clothes. Now in a few short months I'll be getting all of that down again and trying to figure out how to fit two cribs in that small bedroom.
It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not. I'm just processing. I know that this is a blessing and I am very thankful that Gavin and I don't have the frustrations and stress of those people that are never able to have children. And maybe that's part of my shock of this whole situation. We have been and continue to be extremely blessed. But I know all I can do is be thankful and respond to these blessings with respect and admiration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new addition to your family! I am sure all the pregnancy tips will come back to you!

David Scott said...

Liz,

OK, so I'm a bad friend for not keeping in touch. BUT, I do keep updated with what's going on in your life through your great blog. CONGRATULATIONS to you and Gavin for getting pregnant! Awesome news! Did you ever think, way back in 1993, that you would have more kids right now than me? Well, you probably didn't think anything about that, but as you reflect now, can you imagine? Wowsers! We're so happy for you both.

All is well with us. Just got back from a short vacation in Chicago. Stayed with my sister and went to Oprah (yea, I know). Didn't get anything for free, but Whitney did sit front-row center the entire show. Should be on next week sometime. Watch for promos of Melissa Ethridge. Show was about people overcoming difficult odds and not quiting (she had breast cancer, you know).

I haven't posted any photos (or ANYTHING) for that matter on our blog, but you can go to our photography site and click on "About Us" for the latest photo of Whitney, Emma and I. It's www.scottphotography.org Whitney and I are really staying busy with it all. Who knows what God has in store for us....

Tell the family hi for us. Any new on Kendra or Lizzie? Let me know at davewhitscott@sbcglobal.net

Blessings,
David