Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Already?!

As Elijah is nearing the one-year mark, I am hit with the inevitable question: "When will you have the next one?" Hmmm. This one makes me stop and pause a bit.
I love Elijah more than I ever could have imagined and I love being a mom, but I am not one of these moms that wants to just have one right after the other. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but honestly, that thought just overwhelms me. I need a good two and a half to three years between my little ones. And to me, it's still kind of crazy to even think of myself as a mom in the first place, much less a mom of two! It's kind of like the first couple of years that I was married. The thought of being "married" was so weird to me for the longest time. Now, it's hard to imagine my life without Gavin. So, I guess I'm still in the "honeymoon" part of parenthood. I'm enjoying this little guy to the fullest and I'll only be able to enjoy this "alone" time with him for such a short while before the next one comes along.
But, there are aspects of baby number two that are exciting to me. For instance, if we have a girl, it would be just a completely new experience for us (plus they're more fun to shop for!), and if we have another boy then we'd have a fun house full of boys! I know Elijah is going to be so fun to watch as a big brother to whoever comes along next, and a second one will just fill up our house with that much more fun and love.
So, if any of you are wondering when the next little Pate will come along, it will be at the right time for us as a family, and the right time for me as the one carrying and breastfeeding him/her! Right now we are thoroughly enjoying beautiful little Elijah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the distance between the ages. There is 3 and a half years apart between Jessica and Vanessa. I am glad that I had that time between the two of them. I too wanted to enjoy each moment of the first experience. Also for practical reasons I wanted Jessica out of diapers and bottles before having another baby. Well guess what happend? When the new baby arrived Jessica who had been out of diapers and had stopped with the bottle quite awhile ago regressed back to bottles and diapers. Oh well!!!
Isabele