Friday, April 15, 2005

What Is It With Bluebonnets?

So, it's Springtime in Texas and I have a baby, so that means I have to find a patch of bluebonnets for pictures. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, and it makes for some beautiful pictures, but who started this craze? It's the one time in a child's life when a mother is willing to put her child in danger just for some pictures. When else is it okay to pull off the side of a major four lane highway, or better yet, a tiny two-way country highway with dangerosly sharp s-curves, set your baby on the ground, step back about 10 yards and snap a picture?
I'm willing to bet that if that child ever wanted to stop for any other reason, he would hear, "Are you kidding me? We're on the side of a highway! It's too dangerous. We'll pull off at the next gas station." But, every year at this time, you are bound to see multiple families pulled off on the side of the road trying to set up the perfect bluebonnet picture. Do these families just assume that the drivers in Texas automatically know that it's "bluebonnet picture season," so be on your best driving behavior? Maybe so. Maybe the danger is part of the fun!
Personally, I'm still searching for my picture spot so that I don't have to dodge 18-wheelers. I just hope this doesn't mean that I'll have to miss out on this Texas tradition. Call me over-protective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Up here in the Pacific Northwest it's the tulips...I recently had a friend up here visiting and I thought we'd go see the tulips. Apparently everyone else up here had the same idea...I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic getting off the highway and along narrow country roads to go see the fields of tulips. Every gas station coming into Skagit county had signs for free tulip maps. There were more kinds of tulips than I had ever seen before and they were beautiful. Families smiled for pictures and parents posed children among them trying to keep others out of the background from their pictures. And this year it was super muddy so the cute smiling kids were also covered in mud in their pictures. At least here, everyone is driving slowly, not flying past you...

Did you get the pictures I sent you?

I'm looking forward to being back in Texas and seeing the blue bonnets next spring!

Hope you found the perfect spot for your picture!